Smoking meat keeps it tender and flavourful. Smoked meat is a favourite and a staple in many get-togethers. It is safe to eat smoked meats but like most things, it should be consumed in moderation. Frequent consumption of smoked meat poses health risks, although some believe that it is the smoking process that contribute to the risk rather than the meat itself. Consider these factors to help you decide whether you want to eat smoked meats.
- Smoking cooks meat very slowly, using a covered grill or a smoker. Smoking can preserve meats, allowing them to be stored at room temperature. Cold smoking cooks the meat using lower temperature and the process could take several days. Cold smoking is not advisable for fish, as some parasites in fish cannot be destroyed without exposing them to high temperatures.
- High level of sodium used in preparing the meat is one of the factors that make eating smoked meat risky. High sodium intake can lead to heart disease and high blood pressure. Meat naturally contains sodium. Meat rubs, where salt is the main ingredient increases the amount of salt in the food to be smoked. The average daily intake of sodium should be below 2.300 mg. According to research report of the Harvard Family Health Guide, the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes increases when smoked meats are consumed versus eating fresh red meat.
- Meat is a good source of minerals like iron and is protein-rich as well. Beef and pork contain more fat that lean meats such as fish, chicken breast, turkey, venison or buffalo. There are fish species that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which is good for cardiovascular health and the nervous system. Consuming smoked meats in moderation should not pose much of a health risk. Moreover, smoking allows fat to drip off the meat, which greatly reduces its fat content.
- Generally, according to researchers, smoking meats lead to the production of carcinogens. An increase in carcinogen content is attributed to overheated smoker or griller. It is said that smoking meats at home produces more carcinogens compared to those prepared industrially. This could be attributed to the specific temperature controls maintained by manufacturers. Illness and chemical contamination when using makeshift smokers increase the health risk when smoking meats. The of overheating is greatly lessened if you are using a quality smoker because according to Masterbuilt Smoker reviews, these types have an auto-shutdown mechanism that activates when there is too much heat inside the smoker.
- Smoking meat produces many by-products that are toxic. Wood smoke produces toxic substances like benzopyrenes. Nitrates and nitrites that are by-products of curing agents, are carcinogenic. Grilling or smoking meat over an open flame at high temperatures lead to the formation of heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Eating smoked meat increases the risk of developing pancreatic, prostate and colorectal cancers. It also increases the risk of developing stomach infections from bacterial contamination like E.coli, causing stomach pain and diarrhoea and Listeria monocytogenes. The latter triggers stomach pains, headache and fever.
Recognise the fact that smoking meat can expose you to many health risks. However, it does not mean that you have to avoid eating smoked meat at all. Do it occasionally and if you smoke meat at home, ensure that you follow proper meat preparation. Thaw and marinate your meat inside the refrigerator. Maintain smoking temperature between 225 and 300 °F (107.2 and 148.9 °C).
Also read: Climate Change And Their Detrimental Effects On Biodiversity
Climatic conditions play a very important role in maintaining the ecosystems. Rapid change in climate brings about drastic effects on the ecosystem. If the climate changes are gradual, organisms can slowly adapt and evolve. But sudden change collapses the ecosystem.
From a human point of view, rapid change in climate and loss of biodiversity is dangerous, as it affects food chain, which ultimately affects humans.
Global Biodiversity Outlook of UN summarized few concerns about the impact of climate change on the ecosystem. The major concern was the loss of ice at the Arctic sea, which is due to global warming. Ocean acidification due to carbon emission is also an important environmental concern. Some organisms like insects and pests might benefit from increased temperature but even for them, sudden change of climate gives no time to adapt, resulting in their extinction.
Effect of climate changes in Arctic
High latitudes and poles have shown the highest rate of increased temperature, which has resulted in a reduction of ice in Arctic. The lesser the ice, the more rapidly it melts. There is a risk of losing entire biome in Arctic. As a result, all the organism that live there is at risk.
Climate change and Ocean change
Ocean is the region which takes up most of the warmth from the atmosphere. This results in damage to numerous ecosystems. 93.4% of global warming goes into the oceans. This means that the ocean is heating up much faster than land. The rapid increase of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere has resulted in an oceanic condition which hasn’t been seen for millions of years. This could result in irreversible ecological damage, which would result in habitat loss, death and extinction.
Acidification of ocean is caused when excessive carbon dioxide is dissolved in the ocean. This disrupts the animals that produce calcium carbonate to make shells, as the acidification dissolves calcium carbonate. It has been observed that the water is 30%more acidic than it was before industries were built. Coral reefs are also at huge threat because of acidification and increased temperatures. If the reefs go extinct, it will create a chain reaction which would result in the extinction of most of the major ecosystems.
Read Also: Global Warming Crisis Waiting To Explode
Environmental issues are burgeoning by the day with global warming being the major cause of concern. Natural disasters, changing weather patterns and indifferent warming and cooling periods have made life miserable for people. There are many types of environmental changes, and people need to be aware of these changed and how to counter them. Our livelihood is directly or indirectly affected by global warming. Every individual has to be concerned about environmental changes as it can throw up new challenges every day. Some changes can affect only a few ecosystems while the others can change the landscape, causing alarm among the inhabitants.
Earth is deep into environmental crisis. It has made us vulnerable to natural disasters. The environmental issues are increasing, and there is an urgent need to address them. Before our earth is doomed it is time to rectify the mistakes and save our planet from destruction. Some of the urgent environmental issues that need immediate attention are as below.
Global warming as a result of emitting greenhouses gasses due to human actions. The temperatures rise leading to the melting of glaciers, increasing the sea level causing floods. This also leads to unusual precipitation patterns, heavy snowing, desertification and flash floods.
Water, air and soil pollution from industries, motor vehicles is a major cause of concern. Plastics, nitrates, and heavy metals cause pollution. Water pollution is a result of oil spills and acid rain. Air pollution is from industries and motor vehicles due to the combustion of fossil fuels. Soil pollution is caused due to industrial water released into the oil, killing essential nutrients available in the soil.
The steady rise in population leads to a shortage of water, food and fuel. Over using natural resources can lead to depletion of their resources quickly. Agriculture methods are intensified to produce food for the population. This leads to changes in the environment due to the vigorous usage of chemical fertilizers, insecticides, and pesticides.
Climate change is an issue that needs to be addressed immediately. It has become intense over the last two decades. It is one of the major causes of global warming leading to increased temperatures across the globe. The burning of fossil fuels emits harmful gasses causing an increase in temperature leads to melting of the glaciers in the polar region.
Read Also: How To Promote A Green Environment?
Plants and tree can keep the surroundings clean and green. There are a variety of indoor and outdoor plants that can enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home. Some of the plants like English ivy, peace lilies absorb harmful gasses like formaldehyde and benzene. Choose plants that are nonpoisonous especially if you have kids and pets around.
Expired medicines could be harmful to the environment. Never flush them. Old medicines have to be disposed of carefully. Do not put them in water. Some pharmacies take back old medicines and dispose of them safely. Opt for this method incase you do not know how to handle them.
Open fireplace waste about 85% of the gas. Direct vent gas is the best option to burn efficiently. It can save money in the long run. Moreover, when the fireplace is running, do not waste the heat.
Baths are ideal as they conserve water. Bath use less water when compared to showers. It is best to soak in the tub, incase you do not have the habit of keeping the shower short. Low flow shower can cut down on the water usage drastically. Using low flow faucets, you can save on water in the long run. New toilets use lesser water when compared to old ones. Therefore it is advised to choose the latest model to conserve water. There are low flush toilets that can save on water, but they also cut down on greenhouse gasses as the result of water purification procedure. For those who cannot afford new toilets, use a plastic bottle with the lid on in the tank. Using this option lets out less water during every flush.
Next time when you old electronics is not working, considers repairing it, instead of buying a new one. It can reduce on the landfills. Moreover, buying a new one is a lot more expensive when compared to repairing the existing one at the fraction of the cost.
The two major concerns of keeping the environment clean are water pollution and litter. These are harmful to humans, flora, and fauna. Clearing the litter can be expensive, and it can cause serious health hazards. One of the major concerns of litter includes cigarette butts. It is unpleasant to look at and forms a huge source of urban litter. These are difficult to break down, and these are the major source of litter. Keeping public places free from litter can promote a healthy living environment. Creating awareness on a litter free environment is essential. Unless people are aware, it is difficult to promote a clean environment.
The public works department handles street cleaning. Contractors are appointed to clean the locality using their direct labor force. Cleaning in big cities is conducted for extended hours. It can start at 8 am and go on until 2 pm. Modern cities need to have the street cleaned all the time. Street cleaning is a labor intense task and involves high cost. Though, street cleaning is only part of the way to keep the environment clean.
The role of the council health department is to provide people with pure water, air, food and protect them from diseases. In the modern days, street cleaning is promoted using modern equipment. These mechanized equipment make cleaning easy and effective. Water is an essential commodity for cleaning. Another major concern is river pollution. The poor depend on the river water for their domestic and drinking water needs. River pollution is inevitable especially with the sewage reaching the rivers. Discharged sewage has to be treated before it reaches the river downstream to prevent river pollution.
The water has to be tested for quality in the laboratory. There will be changes seen in the chemical and physical parameters. The color, taste, odor and turbidity of the water changes depending on the pollution level in the water.